Our mission is to be the leading European organization in the field of Pharmacogenomics* and Personalized Medicine * with worldwide influence.
Aims of ESPT
"Through leadership and innovation in science and education we will strive to enhance the scientific basis for and the quality of diagnosis and therapy for patients throughout the world. We build on the professionalism of our members to provide quality services to patients. We aim to communicate effectively with our members, other healthcare providers, regulators and the public to disseminate and inform them of our excellent scientific and educational achievements. We focus always on maintaining scientific standards, publications, education and communication. We communicate effectively through a variety of conventional and electronic media. We hold outstanding congresses and conferences to bring the efforts of ESPT to the global community".
The specific aims of ESPT are:
- To transcend the boundaries of single nations or single corporations, in developing the field of PGX and personalized medicine.
- To provide a forum for consensus, in the broadest sense, to offer a European view at the highest possible scientific and technical level, aiming to improve quality of care for the patient and maintain his health.
- To disseminate information on "best practice" at various levels of technology, clinical practice and economic development.
- To promote a vision of PGX and personalized medicine that extends beyond traditional narrow perceptions of the field.
- To improve patient understanding and health.
- To inform clinicians and patients on the appropriate use of PGX.
- To promote, inform and offer an independent view of PGX and personalized medicine to clinicians, regulators, the public and other stakeholders.
ESPT achieves these aims by:
- Publishing information and guidelines relating to the education of pharmacologists, clinical chemists and laboratory specialists, geneticians, clinicians, hospital pharmacists, biochemists clinical and molecular biologists and all people involved in health maintenance/
- Defining principles and publishing recommendations for the standardization of procedures and for interpretation of data for the benefit of health improvement.
- Promoting meetings of interest to scientists through congresses, symposia and workshops in PGX and personalized medicine and by encouraging dialogues with clinicians and patients on matters of common interest.
ESPT will take a major responsibility for co-ordinating the development PGX and personalized medicine on a European basis. In fulfilling this responsibility, it co-operates with many other international, regional and national organizations, particularly in the fields of education, research and clinical implementation.
ESPT also assists and encourages the creation and organization of national societies in this domain in countries where these do not yet exist, and establishes and maintains contact with individual scientists in parts of the world where there is no professional body specifically concerned with PGX and person health and medicine.
Pharmacogenomics corresponds to theapplication of the systematic screening of the human genome for the search of genetic markers sensitive to the action of the drugs either at the level of the cellular or molecular targets,at the level of the drug metabolismor even at the level of the pathological pathways involved.
* Personalized Medicine
Personalized Medicine refers to a medical model using molecular profiling for tailoring the right therapeutic strategy for the right person at the right time, and/or to determine the predisposition to disease and/or to deliver timely and targeted prevention